RED RIVER VALLEY RACING HALL OF FAME ESTABLISHED TO HONOR COMPETITORS & CONTRIBUTORS OF RED RIVER VALLEY SPEEDWAY & BUFFALO RIVER RACE PARK
WEST FARGO, N.D. – Weekly auto racing has been a part of the landscape of the Fargo-Moorhead sports scene since the mid-1950s. For nearly 70 years, some of the most talented and daring drivers in the upper Midwest have battled the high-banks of our local dirt tracks. The Fargo-Moorhead area has produced some of the country’s top talent and local legends who will be remembered and talked about for years to come.
The Red River Valley Racing Hall of Fame was established to honor the drivers, promoters, car owners, track staff, crew members, and fans of Buffalo River Race Park in Glyndon, Minn. and Red River Valley Speedway in West Fargo, N.D., as well as Fargo Speedway Park, which was in operation during the late-1960s to early-1970s.
Organized by RRVS & BRRP photographer and publicist, Mike Spieker, a committee with diverse backgrounds and involvement, rooted in local racing, has been formed.
Committee members include:
Jon Bachmeier – Five-time RRVS Modified Track Champion
Ernie & Gail Brookins – Founders of Minn-Kota Racing Association
Tom Cummings – 40-plus year racing veteran
Mitch Johnson – Holder of most Late Model track championships at RRVS
Dev Malmlov – Multi-time BRRP Modified Track Champion
Steve Pavlicek – Veteran Modified driver at RRVS & BRRP
Duane Peterson – Long-time crew member and track worker at BRRP and now car owner
Chuck Thompson – former driver, car owner, and engine builder
Advisors: Corey Litton (RRVS & BRRP announcer) and Josh Johnson (local racing historian and Late Model competitor)
The Red River Valley Racing Hall of Fame committee will announce their inaugural Class of 2020 this summer. Fans are encouraged to submit their nominees. For more information, visit redrivervalleyspeedway.com/nomination-form
About Buffalo River Race Park:
Established in 1955, Buffalo River Race Park was one of the earliest dirt tracks in the upper Midwest to offer weekly racing. The Buffalo River Race Park opened as the Fargo-Moorhead Speedway in 1955 as a quarter-mile dirt track. From 1964 to 1967, the quarter-mile track was paved. Since 1968, the track has maintained a dirt surface. Over the years, the track has also operated under the names F-M Speedway, Fargo Motor Speedway, Glyndon Speedway, and Buffalo River Speedway. In 2007, it was renamed Buffalo River Race Park when current general manager Kevin Nathe took the helm.
About Red River Valley Speedway:
The first auto race in Fargo was held at the original Red River Valley Fairgrounds in 1906 on the flat, half-mile horse track in north Fargo. Auto racing was regularly held at the track until the fairgrounds moved to its current location in West Fargo in 1967. The new, highly touted high-banked half-mile was inaugurated with a series of fair races in 1967 before weekly racing began in 1968. The World of Outlaws Sprint Cars made their first of many visits to the speedway in 1981 and brought a live, national television audience to the speedway in the late 1990s.
In 2010, Danny Schatz took over the reins of the speedway and reconfigured the speedway to a high-banked, racy three-eighths mile. Today, the speedway is operated by Nick Skalicky and Jake and Sharnel Bitker. The 2020 season will mark the 50th season of weekly racing at Red River Valley Speedway.